Some of the best dishes draw inspiration and ingredients from multiple corners of the world. That is how you get these fresh and delicious Black Beluga Lentils® Brazil bowls that have contributions from four continents.
Rice and beans are a staple in many parts of the globe. Brazil, the largest country in South America, definitely falls in this camp where “feijoada,” a black bean and pork stew, is poured over rice and can include various toppings. This hearty dish serves as the main inspiration for this slightly different version that replaces the traditional black beans with quick-cooking Black Beluga Lentils grown in Montana.
Once you use Black Beluga Lentils, you’ll be thinking of other ways they can replace black beans. They don’t require any pre-soak, cook in about a half hour, and they hold their small shape very well compared to some other lentil varieties. And from a nutrition standpoint, they beat black beans in protein, vitamin B6, folate, iron, potassium, zinc and more.
A beloved spice blend is how two other continents get pulled into this recipe. “Piri Piri” (also called peri-peri) is a famous Portuguese sauce or spice mixture that is based primarily off African bird’s-eye chili. Other common additions to these blends include garlic, citrus peel, oregano, paprika, onion, pepper, bay leaves, and more. Using this spice as the basis to flavor some of the co-stars in this dish is how you get to pull in four continents. Some grocery stores may carry a piri piri blend in their spice aisles, or you can order it online.
The piri piri is used to spice up grilled chicken and roasted sweet potato, providing a tasty kick to the dish. Adding pico, fresh cilantro, and an avocado crema are the bright, herby, and creamy toppings that only elevate this satisfying dish even more.
These bowls great for a lot of different diets because they are gluten-free and can be 100% vegan if you leave out the chicken. Give them and try and message us if you have any questions!
Black Beluga Lentils Brazil Bowl Recipe
Serves 4-5 people
1 cup black beluga lentils
1 red onion
1 bunch cilantro
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 tbsp cumin
Piri Piri spice blend
2 cups long grain white rice
Zest of one lime
1 ripe avocado
1 large tomato
1 small jalapeño pepper
1 large clove of garlic
2 chicken breasts
2/3 cup half and half
- Marinate two chicken breasts in 1/4 olive oil, salt, pepper, 1 tbsp of piri piri spice blend, and the juice of one lime for 1-2 hours.
- About 15 minutes before serving the bowls, grill the chicken, set aside to rest. Chop into ½ - ¾ inch pieces and add the juice of one half lime and 2 tbsp of cilantro.
- Finely dice one red onion. Sauté one cup of diced onion in one tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat for about five minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and 1 tbsp cumin, and sauté another two minutes.
- Add 4 cups of water and 1 tsp of kosher salt. Bring to a boil.
- Add one cup Timeless Black Beluga Lentils and reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- When cooked, squeeze the juice of half a lime into the lentils and adjust seasoning.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cube into 3/4 inch pieces. Mix well with 2 tbsp olive oil, salt, pepper, and 1 tbsp of piri piri spice blend.
- Place on a foil-lined baking tray and roast for 20 minutes. Turn the pieces of sweet potato over and roast for another 15-20 minutes until nicely browned.
Pici de Gallo:
- Dice tomato into 1/2 inch pieces. Remove the seeds and pith from the jalapeño pepper if you want to bring the heat level down. Finely chop the whole or seeded pepper. Chop 2 tbsp of fresh cilantro.
- Combine these ingredients with 1/2 cup of finely diced red onion and the juice of half of a lime.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- In a blender, add peeled, seeded and chopped avocado with 2/3 cup of half and half, the zest of one lime, and 2 tbsp of chopped cilantro and blend until smooth. If it needs more liquid, you can add the juice of a half of a lime.
- Combine these elements while ingredients are hot and top with the avocado crema and a wedge of lime.
Buy Black Beluga Lentils® at our webstore.
Recipe used with permission from Jon Bennion, Intermediate Chef